Did you see what I did there? I made a Family Guy reference. Didja catch it?
All sorts of things are just bugging me this week. And we all know misery loves company, therefore I present to you my list of irritants.
- It's been COLD. Yes, I know it's Alaska. Yes, I know it's supposed to be cold. Yes, I know I hate the heat and therefore try to never complain about the cold. But I am getting TIRED of it! We had one of the coldest Novembers on record and now one of the coldest Januarys. It's cold, it's dark, we can't go out and do anything... I'm over it!! Please remind me of this post in July when I start whining that it's 85° and nothing is air conditioned.
- Amy Winehouse is dead. She's been dead for a while now. She was no revolutionary. She was a dopehead who happened to have some musical talent. Which she totally wasted by choosing to remain a dopehead. Sure, a new CD released posthumously is to be expected, I suppose. But the way people are still talking about her and pumping out calendars, clothing, you name it... it's just absurd.
- The stomach flu (or, more likely, some mutant virus) has had a hold on our house for over a week now. We have all been feeling terrible, tired, and cranky. The other night I threw up 13 times in 6 hours. OVER IT.
- Hate to shatter anyone's dreams with this one, but none of the presidential candidates (from any party) is the next Messiah. No one has a magic wand that can fix what's wrong in a day, a week, a month or even a year. Let's just all try to educate ourselves, watch debates, be mindful of where information comes from before we believe it, and vote with our hearts and our heads. And for the love of all that is holy, please do vote.
- Speaking of being mindful of where information comes from, I swear I'm going to unleash this irritated fury on the next person who sends me a stupid email based on nothing but tinfoil hat paranoia about something the president or Congress or someone is doing. Yesterday it was "OMG! Effective immediately, we all have to pay 3.8% sales tax when we sell our house!!" Puh-lease. Do some freaking research before you pass that crap on. The only way to kill a parasite (lie) is to starve it (not forward it).
- Two months in a row now, our electric bill has been over $220. This is ridiculous. The bill I just got yesterday was for $227. Of that, $87 was electricity. The rest was for the oil they use to generate the electricity itself (and a few fees/taxes). What? Are you telling me there's no better way and no one's getting rich out of this deal? I'm not buying it. This means that between heat, water, and electricity, it cost us almost $600 last month just to not freeze to death and to be able to bathe and drink water. I'm angry.
- Did I mention we are still paying more for gas than the vast majority of the country? Did I mention we have a refinery within 20 miles where the crap is made? Yeah. You have to run your car a lot when it's -45°... it's not cheap.
So, what's grinding your gears?!
(On one happy note, go check out my CRAFTY BLOG if you haven't already... I've been busy!)